Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dakota's Surgery




Well, Dakota has survived yet another surgery. We had originally thought that they were going to be lengthening his achillies tendons in both legs, but after his gait lab testing, they decided that they would only do the right leg. They went ahead and did the right achilles tendon and then also the inside of his ankle. He has been turning it in really bad and walking up on his tip toes too. You'd think that he was wearing high heels. For the left leg, they went ahead and stretched him and then casted him in that position. It was a very long day for him. They had him on the schedule for the first surgery, but once we arrived there had been an emergency surgery come in earlier. We ended up waiting several hours. Matt went up with me and we decided to take Nash with us. Don't ask me what we were thinking.......it was a nightmare! We had to keep Dakota busy so he'd quit thinking about eating and so, of course, he wanted to play basketball in his hospital gown. He's a trooper! Once they finally decided to get him prepped for the surgery is when his anxiety kicked in. They doctors and nurses were ALL so good to him and very patient. They decided to wait to put the I.V. in after he had fallen asleep. He didn't start crying until I had to let go of his hand and they wheeled him into the surgery room. I could literally hear him screaming. I will never be able to explain that feeling, I was just reassured by the care of the doctors and nurses prior and knew that he was in good hands. I went back into his room to wait and after about a half hour the O.R. called in. They wanted to let me know that I had a FIGHTER! It had taken them that long to finally get him under, but everything was going well now. The surgery lasted a couple of hours and went very well. He chose to have the blue casts for the Jazz, of course. We were able to get him home that night and since he has done tremendously well. He used a walker for a couple of days and now walks around as if he were wearing his braces. He has 4 more weeks in the casts and I can't wait to see if the surgery is going to help him.
I just want to take a minute and thank Amber for ALL the help that she was for me. She took Bridger in for me the night before and he stayed all the next day with them. Then the following night they brought us over dinner from Outback and it was delicious!!! You truly are the greatest and the best friend ever, Amber! Thank you so much for everything! LOL!!!

4 comments:

Brett and Tiffany said...

We are glad everything went well...what a trooper! It is hard to see your kids in pain...you just want to take it all for them!

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

My heart just breaks seeing him lying there - and I had tears when you were talking about him screaming with the IV - that has got to be the hardest thing for a mom or dad. Keep up your great attitude - you are amazing!!

Jenny H said...

I am so glad he's a Fighter...that's what he needs!:)
My heart goes out to you and just know I think you are amazing and strong. I think I may have ran into the OR after my Deakon!
I hope you are both getting some rest and this surgery is great for him.
Thinking of you...

Amberly said...

I am so glad everything went well. He is doing amazing in those casts, it has not slowed him down one bit!! I was more than happy to take Bridger, I wish I could have helped out with Nash also!! They are always welcome!!